Sunday, November 20, 2011

Social Media for Beer?

About two months ago a friend and I discovered an interesting social media tool for craft beer lovers called Untappd (www.untappd.com). This interactive website allows you to log your brews from either a computer or smartphone. The biggest reason I enjoy Untappd is because of its like journal-like aspect. It is interesting to keep track of all your new beer discoveries and then be able to look back at them a month or two later. Also, a great feature titled "The Pub" shows the trending micro and macro beers that other Untappd members are drinking, which serves as a great source of reference when trying to decide what to pick up at the liquor store.

There are even more features that make this quirky website fun for the beginning craft beer drinker. First, you can befriend other Untappd members and see what beers they are enjoying. Second, when you log in beers on your smartphone, there is an option to add your location and keep track of where you've been (just in case you somehow forget). Lastly, you can add a personal wish list of beers that you would like to try on your profile. Currently, my wish list consists of the Chocolate Ale by Boulevard Brewery, Midas Touch by Dogfish Head, and Pliny The Younger by Russian River.

Overall, Untappd does a wonderful job at combining the friend element of Facebook, the trending element of Twitter, and the location element of Foursquare.  Along your Untappd journey you also have the opportunity to earn many badges. My most recent badge I received was "I Believe in IPA!" for trying three different IPA style beers in a thirty day period. I hope that I was able to give a solid overview of the website, and believe me there is much more to discover to on Untappd than I revealed!

1 comment:

  1. Just got around to finally reading this. I really enjoy it, keep it going and post as much as you can.

    If you need any cross-post stuff check out www.reddit.com/r/beer, they seem to always have awesome articles posted.

    ReplyDelete